1916 - M.H. Gard and his family moved to Anthony, opening Gard and Son Furniture and Undertaking Store, in a location now occupied by BancCentral.
1920 - G.O. “Dick” Elliott moved to Anthony, buying an interest and becoming a partner of Mr. Gard. The firm became Gard & Elliott.
1921 – G.O. “Dick” Elliott & Mr. Gard merged with the firm Schultz and Morgan Undertaking. Mr. Morgan remaining, the firm was re-named GEM Furniture & Undertaking. “G” for Gard, “E” for Elliott and “M” for Morgan. Mr. Morgan later sold his interest to R.P. Chevraux who sold his interest to Roy Stanley. They occupied two locations in downtown Anthony the second being in the former J.C. Penney building.
1928 – Mr. Elliott & Mr. Gard built a new building at 113 S. Bluff Avenue for their furniture store.
1930 – Mr. Elliott & Mr. Gard built a new Mortuary building at 115 S. Bluff Avenue for their Mortuary.
At a later time – Mr. Gard retired and Mr. Morgan moved away, leaving Mr. Elliott as owner.
1943 – Mr. Elliott sold the Mortuary business but retained the mortuary building at 115 S. Bluff Avenue and leased it to Mr. Lawrence Parsons, who was a former employee. Lawrence named his business Parsons – Elliott Mortuary. After eight years operating a funeral business in our location, Mr. Parsons moved out of our building and into his new funeral home on East Main. Mr. Elliott kept ownership of the Furniture Store until 1950 and then closed the furniture store, thereafter selling the building at 113 S. Bluff Avenue to Mardis Electric.
1953 – Mr. Elliott came out of retirement and re-opened the Elliott-Maag Mortuary, partnering with Mr. Newell P. Maag for five years. Mr. Maag then returned to Pratt, Kansas to his former employment with Ayers Mortuary, Pratt, Kansas.
1961 – Mr. Vernon D. Elliott (Dick’s oldest son) moved back to Anthony after college, to continue the business. The Elliott family served our community for many years and was closed in the late 2000’s after Mr. & Mrs. Elliott’s death.